Monday 7 October 2013

The day my rubber duck died!
I know what you are thinking. How does a rubber duck die? Surely they are not even alive. I always thought the same things. Until now.
All of Duckies friends gathered for a resurrection party!
So everybody knows that I have an obsession with keyrings. They also know that I have an obsession with rubber ducks. So this christmas I got given the best present I could ever ask for. A rubber duck keyring. His skin is as yellow as the sun, with a beautiful, bright blue light that shines from his beak and the most perfect quacking noise any duck has ever made.

My nephew came to visit and he was interested in Duckie, very interested. He is not yet two so I could not say no to him otherwise he would cry. He always does cry when he does not get what he wants. Spoilt. When I handed Duckie to him there was a moment when our eyes locked and I saw a murderous gleam in them. My heart was racing, what should I do? I can not just take Duckie off of him just because I contain too much fear, I will be named the worst Aunty in the world. I should not worry so. How much could a little boy do anyway? It struck me that I actually do not know. But what I do know is that single glint in his eyes will haunt me for the rest of my life. It was so creepy and malicious it was like looking into those of a serial killer.
I had nothing to worry about, he was just playing nicely just holding down Duckies silver button, to hear him quack and see his beautiful light. Laughing happily to himself. Suddenly the whole atmosphere changed. A heavy weight fell all across the room, the sun had been clouded over and the room turned cold and dark. A storm had arrived.

It was a most horrific death. My nephew, being the horrible little boy that he is, kept bashing poor Duckie on the floor and the walls and then he threw him! CRASH! I watched as he crumpled on the floor. I dashed over and picked him up ready to give CPR if I needed to. His colour was no longer as bright as the sun, it faded. I pressed his round, silver button on his side. Nothing. No sound. No bright, blue light. Nothing. Just one massive clump of nothing. I am devastated.

My nephew laughs. If only he knew what I was thinking. I can not even bare to look at him. He waddles over swaying from side to side. He picks up Duckie. I am about to tell him to put him down when he throws him again! How dare he? He has already murdered him, how could he take it even further as to tortue his poor defenceless body even more. My evil nephew picked Duckie up and to my surprise he just pressed the silver button as if he expects everything to be as it was. He worked. His skin returned a brighter yellow than I have ever seen, his bright blue light shone like saphires and his sweet sounding quack returned as beautiful as a song. My nephew is a genius and he is not even two. I think he will be the next Einstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment