Monday 2 September 2013

"I look around the yard, at the warm red-brick walls capped with white coping stones that lean against the old chapel, the apple tree bowing low with the weight of the last of the fat fruit, ready for picking, the barn which abuts the granary, filled with hay, and our house set plumb in the middle of it all, warm in the sunshine, peaceful this morning, my children at their lessons."

I chose this piece of writing because I think it sets such a peaceful image in the readers mind. It is really descriptive and detailed about all the little pieces of information that most people tend to miss when they look around them.
I like the fact that the whole paragraph doesnt really have a meaning to it, it doesn't lead up to anything and it doesn't tell you any important information its kind of just useless. Also there are no full stops, it is all commas so it gives the sense that the woman is just rambling on about everything she sees which gives you the feeling that she is talking to you.

1 comment:

  1. To me, this extract may be a way to help the story flow as it's a descriptive piece that sets a simple scene. From the language I think it's summer time and this paragraph may be a way to trasition into a different time period.
    I agree that this paragraph is wordy and the description is interesting but I'm not sure as to whether it's irrelevent as it's taken out of the context of the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete