Sunday 14 September 2014

My ideas for my coursework:


I was thinking of doing some questionnaires and asking people with children how they used to get their children to do housework and tidy their rooms etc. and whether they had to bribe them at all or not and how they would go about getting them to do what they wanted. I was thinking of asking a range of parents that I know that have different gender and aged children, also I was thinking of having a range of parents so young, older, single etc. and compare the difference between the language they chose to use for different aged and gendered children.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds a good idea but it could be hard to test this hypothesis with the use of language. I think it could be improved by being in the situation and recording a parent trying to bribe their child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great hypothesis but maybe try focusing on one variable to change during your investigation otherwise it might be hard to analyse the data. Maybe try looking at how mums and dads talk to similar aged children of the same sex on the same topic because that might make it easier to analyse the data for language & power (or whatever it might be you are looking at in your investigation).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelica's comments about comparability are crucial. Also, I would want you to think about what theory you are testing/exploring.

    ReplyDelete